Cerebral Palsy of Ulster Counties TRAID Project exists to provide individuals with disabilities in Ulster, Orange, Rockland, and Sullivan counties, access to assistive technology that allows them to maximize independence in the home, school, employment, and community environments.
Assistive Technology is an umbrella term that includes assistive, adaptive, and rehabilitative devices for people with disabilities and also includes the process used in selecting, locating, and using them. As one of 12 Regional Technology Centers throughout the state of NY the Cerebral Palsy of Ulster County TRAID program provides the following services:
- Operate as a device demonstration facility, allowing individuals the opportunity to “test drive” expensive pieces of equipment prior to purchase
- Coordinate local technology information and referral services
- Implement outreach, public awareness, education and training programs
- Promote local advocacy on how to access and use assistive technology devices and services.
- The TRAID Project also provides statewide coordination of assistive technology activities for people with disabilities and fosters development of State and Federal policies to enhance the availability of assistive technology to the general public and increase public awareness of the benefits of assistive technology
Our services are available to persons with disabilities of all ages, their families, service providers, employers, educator and others who are interested in disability issues or assistive technology.
Each person can loan up to three pieces of assistive technology for two months at a time for the purposes of:
- Deciding if an item is appropriate prior to purchase, and
- Acting as a loaner for already purchased technology out for repair
Examples of Assistive Technology and resources available on loan through the TRAID Project include:
- Wheelchairs, walkers and canes
- Adapted utensils and cooking equipment
- Adapted remote controls
- Adapted toys
- Sensory items [pressure vests, sit fits, body sox]
- Adapted keyboards and computer mice
- Low and high-tech Augmentative Communication Devices
- Training DVDs, resource manuals and books
Accessing our TRAID Program:
- Identify a need for assistive technology. This can be done through self-referral or through an educational team process. We ask, what would you like to do that you are currently unable to do without the use of assistive technology?
- Cerebral Palsy of Ulster County identifies the assistive technology equipment or resource that best suits your need from our extensive inventory to address the question of what type of assistive technology is available to help me accomplish what I want to do.
- Contact the Cerebral Palsy of Ulster County TRAID Regional Coordinator at 845-336-7235 to aid in the decision making process. We are here to help you through the process of need identification through training and funding.
If you or your family member is in need of assistive technology and/or assistive technology services, please contact us at our Tuytenbridge site [845.336-7235] or make an appointment to meet with a TRAID staff member and tour our TRAID facility.
The Community Rehabilitation Center is conveniently located off of Rt. 9W, past the Hudson Valley Mall heading north toward Saugerties, behind the Lake Katrine Post Office.